Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Grumble, Complain

   
Photo courtesy of JennyEBurr 


The grumbling, complaining Israelites have been on my mind.

I have been thinking that there are likely more similarities than differences between myself and them. 

Exodus 15:24 NIV  So the people grumbled against Moses, saying, "What are we to drink?" 

God told Moses to throw a piece of wood into the water and when he did this the water was no longer bitter.

Exodus 16: 2-3 In the desert the whole community grumbled against Moses and Aaron. The Israelites said to them, "If only we had died by the Lord's hand in Egypt! There we sat around pots of meat and ate all the food we wanted, but you have brought us out into this desert to starve this entire assembly to death." 

Ah the good old days. Somehow, being slaves in Egypt, was becoming a fond memory for the Israelites. I suspect that life in slavery wasn't as good as they were telling Moses.

And so it continued. They journeyed, they camped, they complained, they grumbled and forgot all that God had done for them.  

I shake my head and sometimes laugh at the antics and unbelief of the Israelites. How could they so quickly forget about all that God had done for them? How could they grumble and complain so readily? 

But...I have their history before me as I read through the Bible. I can see it all and I know what God did for them. The miracles which God provided are written out fully in the scriptures.

Here are just a few of the many miracles.  
  • God provided Moses (who was an unwilling, inexperienced leader) to lead the Israelites.
  • God sent the plagues on Egypt so that Pharaoh would send the Israelites out of Egypt.
  • God provided a pillar of fire to guide and give them light at night and a pillar of cloud to guide them by day so that they could travel day and night. 
  •  When God told Moses to raise his staff, God parted the Red Sea so the Israelites could walk across on dry ground to escape the pursuing Egyptians. 
  • God provided food and water as they camped and journeyed in the desert. 

In Exodus 13:17-18 we are told that God did not let Moses lead them by way of the easy route, along the road, because God knew that when things got tough the Israelites they would turn tail and run back to Egypt. 

Taking the uncharted route through the desert meant that they would have to rely on God and his directions to Moses. 

It was all about trusting God. Trusting that He would provide for all of their needs. 

So...what about me? I grumble just like the Israelites. I complain and yes, I even forget what God has done. So, am I really any different than the grumbling, complaining, forgetful Israelites? 

Am I missing the daily miracles which God provides because I am busy grumbling and complaining about what I think that God should be doing? Am I trusting God?

Hopefully and prayerfully, I keep my focus on trusting and thanking God for His provisions. 

Dear Heavenly Father, help me to keep my eyes on you and to be continually thankful for everything you do for me.  I ask this in Jesus' name. Amen. 

Your turn.  Have you ever been like the grumbling, complaining, forgetful Israelites?